Thursday, May 12, 2005

A Challenge: Go Beyond the Ribbons

We've all seen them. Hundreds, thousands of magnetic yellow ribbons on the back of vehicles. They say "Support Our Troops" but I'm not sure what that really means.

I'm back in Louisiana now, and I had a lot of time to think today while sitting on planes and in airports. It's awesome that so many people support the military, but maybe there's a better way than buying a ribbon.

Please, when you have a chance, check out AnySoldier.com and SoldiersAngels.com. Both of these sites are making a huge difference for troops overseas. Buy the ribbons if you must, but please don't forget to prove your support by reaching out to those who are still in harm's way.

As I go to sleep tonight - and every night - I'll thank God for my brothers who sleep on the ground and dodge bullets and bombs for my sake. I'll beg God to keep them safe and let them see their loved ones again. And then, like most nights, I'll cry for those who didn't make it.

6 Comments:

At 7:04 AM, Blogger DangerGirl said...

I agree while wearing Ribbons is a great gesture of support, I also encourage everyone to head over to
Any Soldier.com, write a quick note, and pick out a pre made care package from the sister site, run by Marty's wife, called TreatAnySoldier.com.

I have a lots of great emails from very thankful deployed marines and soldiers.

Thanks for you service, Jason, and enjoy your time in Baton Rouge, a city I've visited twice, after spending a rather, shall we say, interesting few days in New Orleans!

Don't ask...I won't tell -but in involved a "hurricane" and I don't mean the kind Mother Nature creates!

*BIG GRIN*

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Thanks for the info! I added Treat Any Soldier to my links, and my friends in Philly are already sending a box.

Someday you'll have to tell me about that trip to NOLA :-)

Love,
Jason

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Hey Dad,

Thanks for the Hooah from a Marine! I started at LSU, but then some guys decided I'd learn more in Afghanistan. I had to leave college for awhile, but it was worth it.

When I got back, I decided to start over at school in Philly (stupidly forfeiting the free tuition from the LA National Guard). I'm still getting used to the North, but I go home almost every month for my Southern fix :-)

Nah, that wasn't me at Mardi Gras. Although I've been there almost every year, I missed this year because of school.

Thanks again for writing. God bless the Corps and all who wear the uniform!

Semper Fi,
Jason

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger DangerGirl said...

Tell you about NOLA..huh.....not on a public message board...but lets say...me in four inch stilleto's, a hurricane, the sweet sounds of jazz drifting into the streets on a very hot nite...and the next day...EVERYONE seemed to know me by name!

And for some strange reason, while thinking about all this...I can hear Ben Harper singing " When I get this feeeellinnng I need sexual heaallllinnngggg"

* Fans herself* Suddenly I've got the vapours

Gotta love NOLA!

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Mauser*Girl said...

I think that, for a lot of people, the ribbons are just a way to show the public that they support the troops. A lot of people I know who have those ribbons on their car also support the troops in other ways, like sending care packages or having fundraisers.

I saw one site the other day, wwww.campdoha.org, that had a link to a book fund raiser. Supporters buy a book and half the money from the book goes to Soldiers Angels (the other half pays for printing, I guess). I thought that was a good project and people get something out of it, too.

Anyway, I was just checking out the mil*blogs webring and just wanted to stop by and say hi. ;)

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for your service from a former Marine SSGT that was in Beruit and Desert Storm. What you are doing is a very noble a proud thing. Keep up the good work! Semper Fi!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home