Saturday, February 25, 2006

PHEAA - The Red-Tape Behemoth

Has anyone recently had to deal with the red-tape behemoth known as PHEAA - the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency? If you have, you probably know where I'm going with this!

As I was coming to the end of my tour of duty in Afghanistan in early 2003, my relatives in Pennsylvania suggested that I consider moving here and, eventually, starting college again (I was in my first semester at LSU when my unit was called to active duty overseas).

I moved to Pennsylvania in May of 2003 and decided to work full-time at a civilian job for at least a year. Of course, I had to fly back to Louisiana - at my own expense - to participate in mandatory monthly drills with my unit.

In May of 2004, I began applying to several schools and to PHEAA. I was accepted and chose to attend Widener University in Chester, PA, in the Fall of 2004, not realizing that PHEAA would contribute nothing to my financial aid package.

Countless phone calls and letters to PHEAA resulted in different excuses each time for why I was ineligible for financial aid from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:

- First, it was because I hadn't changed my driver's license to PA
- Then, because I was a member of the National Guard of another state
- Then, because military members can only claim their home state
- Finally, they said it was because I applied 13 days shy of one full year in PA

As each excuse was presented and resolved, PHEAA found another one. Finally, I wrote to Governor Rendell asking for his assistance in resolving the situation. Sadly, even the governor fared no better than I did with this state agency!

I thought about giving up and returning to Louisiana, but instead I transferred to a state university because I couldn't afford a private college's tuition any longer (I'm already almost $25,000 in debt and I'm only a sophomore).

I gave up my full tuition benefits in Louisiana - even though I remained a member of the National Guard unit - to move to Pennsylvania. Now, PA tells me that I am neither a resident of the state nor eligible for financial aid.

It would be nice if Pennsylvania would honor my decision to move here as well as my years of service in uniform. Instead, they have made it next to impossible to stay.

Jason

5 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I know that this has nothing to do with your post, but I just wanted to say thank you for serving. I've adopted/befriended several soldiers who have served or are currently serving in the Mideast, and I know that oftentimes you are underappreciated. You don't even know me, and yet you risked your life for me. That's pretty amazing, especially in a society where it's commonplace to put oneself above everyone and everything else. It's incredible to hear about people like you, and it hits very close to home. I'm the same age you were when you joined up, and I know I never would have been able to do what you've done. So for what it's worth, thank you. You truly are one of America's unsung heros.

-Kate

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Dear Kate,

You're the best! It's Americans like you who make it possible for the troops to persevere. I don't know what we would do without your support.

I'm back home now - for awhile at least - but my thoughts and prayers are with all of those who are still serving in harm's way.

Like you, I'm very grateful for what they are doing and I pray that they will come home safely to their loved ones. Not a day goes by that I don't think of them and thank God for them!

Thank you again for remembering all of us. Through your words of support, you've already accomplished much more than you realize!

Your soldier friend,

Jason

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jason,

I know that "my soldiers" as they are affectionatly termed are very glad for your thoughts and prayers. I think about them every day, both the ones who have come home and those still over there. You are all very, very special people, and I'm so happy that I've found ways to help make the time over there better for some of them. When I talk with people like you, I'm just completely grateful that you're home, and it gives me a little more hope that all of my guys will make it back as well. If you have any buddies still over there, please give them my regards, because we are still thinking of them.

-Kate

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Dear Kate,

I'll let my buddies know that they are in your thoughts. It means a lot to everyone who is far from home!

May an army of angels watch over every soldier, sailor, airman, and Marine, and bring them home safely. And may you know that your kindness and support helped the troops through the most challenging times!

Jason

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

with all love- D.D.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home